Mission, Vision & Core Values
Howard University, a culturally diverse, comprehensive, research intensive and historically Black private university, provides an educational experience of exceptional quality at the undergraduate, graduate, and professional levels to students of high academic standing and potential, with particular emphasis upon educational opportunities for Black students. Moreover, the University is dedicated to attracting and sustaining a cadre of faculty who are, through their teaching, research and service, committed to the development of distinguished, historically aware, and compassionate graduates and to the discovery of solutions to human problems in the United States and throughout the world. With an abiding interest in both domestic and international affairs, the University is committed to continuing to produce leaders for America and the global community.
Vision: Through its programs of exemplary quality, Howard University will be the first HBCU to become a top-50 research university, while it continues its traditions of leadership and service to underserved communities nationally and abroad.
- Enhance status as a major comprehensive metropolitan research university (with competitive undergraduate, graduate, and professional programs)
- Increase excellence in teaching and learning
- Expand the international footprint and role in world affairs
- Provide environment of open discourse (Think Tank for the Nation)
- Extend public service role through expanded engagement with local, national and international communities
Core values define the norms and belief system that are utilized to implement the University’s vision. The core values are: