Statement about Our Unwavering Commitment
Dear Howard University Community,
Earlier this week, I had an opportunity to speak with students, faculty, staff and alumni concerned with the current Administration’s immigration policy pronouncements and the impact it may have on undocumented Howard students or those vulnerable to these policies. I share the concerns expressed. In response to these concerns and inquiries regarding the University’s position on these matters and requests to declare Howard a sanctuary campus, I offer the following commitments:
- -We will not produce information regarding students and staff, except as required by law and with valid legal process;
- -We are not compiling any list of visa holders or immigrants for purposes of policing the campus or monitoring citizenship status or to stand in the shoes of government agencies charged with that responsibility.
I want every member of our community to understand our unequivocal and steadfast commitment on this issue. We are also passionate about providing a safe and nurturing environment for every member of our community and will continue to:
- -Support students, faculty and staff with DACA status to the maximum extent the law allows.
- -Make available information regarding legal resources to address questions presented by students, faculty and staff that may be affected by the executive orders.
- -Continue to support academic arrangements for enrolled students, who, in extenuating circumstances, cannot be present on campus.
- -Continue to offer existing online programs including distance learning degree programs, in nursing, pharmacy, allied health and business, as well over 100 online course offerings each semester, across a variety of disciplines.
- -Explore and continue development of additional online course and program offerings, consistent with the requirements of applicable licensing and accrediting organizations.
Howard is enriched by cultural diversity, and it is indeed one of our greatest strengths. During this time of uncertainty, I encourage all of us to stay informed, remain engaged and lean on one another for support. We all have a role to play in advocating for the values and principles that have been part of our rich Howard tradition. Thank you.
Excellence in Truth and Service,
Wayne A. I. Frederick, M.D., MBA