Total Class Withdrawals

Students who find it necessary to withdraw from all of their classes for the current semester or for a subsequent semester for which they have already registered must complete a Total Withdrawal Request Form.

This form must be submitted by the end of the 12th week of classes for the semester (fall/spring) in which students wish to withdraw. For summer sessions, this form must be submitted before final examinations have started. Please see the University Calendar for specific dates and deadlines for each semester. Students who are physically unable to complete the withdrawal in person and students who are administratively withdrawn should contact their Dean or advisor for assistance. See the Student Reference Manual for important details.

Instructions for Students

  1. Obtain the name and Howard-issued e-mail address of your advisor
  2. Access the Summer 2019 Total Withdrawal Form or Fall 2019 Total Withdrawal Form.

  3. Enter your name and preferred e-mail address as well as the Howard-issued e-mail addresses for the appropriate offices.

Please note: All e-mail addresses must be submitted to complete the request. Incomplete forms will not be processed. 

  1. Read and verify the terms and conditions, then select 'Continue'.

  2. Complete all required fields highlighted in red.

  3. Select 'Sign' on the bottom right side of the document.

  4. Select 'Finish' once you have completed your review of the information entered.

  5. Your request will be routed to the appropriate offices.


Unofficial Withdrawals

The Unofficial Withdrawal Policy assists the University in administering its Title IV federal financial aid program. Department of Education regulations require the return of disbursed federal financial aid received by students who do not attend and participate in courses for which they are not enrolled. The University must adjust the federal financial aid of all students who either never report or stop attending and participating within the first 60 percent of the semester.

In previous years, "UW" and "NR" grades reported as final grades did not affect a student's grade point average. But henceforth, students who never attend or stop attending without officially withdrawing will adversely affect their grade point averages through the failing grades they will earn at the end of the semester.
Students who find it necessary to drop/withdraw from a course must complete the official process by the required deadline. Please refer to the University Calendar for specific dates and deadlines.