Students may opt to submit course withdrawals (to remove one or more -- but not all -- registered courses) or a total withdrawal (to remove all registered courses) from the university. Please see the below details for more information. 

Course Withdrawal

A student may withdraw from a course up to 8 weeks (Fall and Spring semesters only, as Summer deadlines are generally the first day of classes for the session) after the first day of instruction and receive a grade of “W” (withdrawal) that has no grade point value. Withdrawals processed by the deadline date for course ADDS are treated as course DROPS. Withdrawals AFTER the Change of Program deadline are processed with the “W” grade. The last day to withdraw from a course shall not be later than 4 weeks prior to the end of the semester, including the final examination period. Students may complete the withdrawal process via the steps below.

Spring Final Deadline: April 9, 2021

A grade of 'W' is assigned for 'drops' after January 31, 2021.

Instructions for Students Who Are Not Freshmen, Student Athletes, or Have A Hold

  1. Sign into BisonWeb.

  2. Select Student Services -> Registration -> Add/Drop Classes.

  3. Select the appropriate semester from the drop-down menu and submit.

  4. Enter your alternate PIN and submit.

  5. Select 'Course Withdrawal' under the Actions column beside the course you would like to withdraw from.

  6. Review and submit your changes. 

Instructions for Students Who Are Freshmen, Student Athletes, or Have A Hold

  1. Obtain the name and Howard-issued e-mail address of your advisor.

  2. Access the Change of Program (Course Withdrawal) Form.

  3. Enter your name and e-mail address. Also, enter your advisor e-mail address (Howard University e-mail only) under the 'Advisor' section.
    Important: All e-mail address must be submitted to complete the request. Incomplete forms will not be processed.

  4. The system will automatically generate an access code and forward via e-mail to your account. This should take no longer than 20 minutes.

  5. Enter the access code.

  6. Read and verify terms and conditions and select 'Continue'.

  7. Complete all required fields highlighted in red.

  8. Select Confirm Signing on the left side of the document.

  9. Save document on-line (optional)

  10. Your request will be routed to your academic advisor for him/her/them to sign. Once your advisor has signed, your request will generally be processed within 2 to 3 business days.

NOTE: A course may not be reinstated after the course withdrawal has been processed. Moreover, mere absence from class does not constitute withdrawal. A properly executed BisonWeb Withdrawal or Change of Program Form must be used to effectuate all withdrawals. Students will receive a failing grade for courses in which they discontinue attendance without completing the appropriate course withdrawal process. Please note that the listed deadlines (including on the Academic Calendar) for the completion of withdrawals to be issued with a refund of tuition and fees are not related to course withdrawals. A total withdrawal must be submitted for the applicable semester by the given deadline to generally be eligible to receive a refund of tuition and fees. 

WARNING ON DROPPING COURSES: Students who drop all courses for which they have registered (even though they may be taking only one course) must effect Total Withdrawal when officially dropping all courses currently being carried. (In this instance, the drop/add procedure should not be used.)

Total Class Withdrawals

Students who find it necessary to withdraw from all of their classes for the current semester or for a subsequent semester for which they have already registered must complete a Total Withdrawal Request Form. This form can be accessed below, and must be submitted to officially withdraw from the university. 

The total withdrawal must be submitted by the end of the 12th week of classes for the semester (fall/spring) in which students wish to withdraw. For summer sessions, this form must be submitted before final examinations have started. Please see the University Calendar for specific dates and deadlines for each semester. Students who are physically unable to complete the withdrawal in person and students who are administratively withdrawn should contact their Dean or advisor for assistance. See the Student Reference Manual for important details.
There is no leave of absence process for undergraduate students. Moreover, submission of a total withdrawal may result in the forfeiture of institutional aid.

Readmission after a Total Withdrawal

Continuing students who wish to continue studies for a later entering semester must complete the former student returning application process as outlined by the university or their school/college/program. Undergraduate Returning Students may view more detailed information via the highlighted link. All other students interested in regaining admission may consult with the admissions office of their school/college. Incoming new entrant students who withdraw during their first semester prior to the final enrollment census for that semester (generally in October for Fall entrants & March for Spring entrants - see the University Calendar) must submit a new application for admission-- you would not be eligible to submit a returning student application. 

Spring (100% refund) Deadline: January 31, 2021 | Spring (50% refund) Deadline: February 16, 2021 | Spring (25% refund) Deadline: March 16, 2021 | Spring Final Deadline: April 9, 2021

A grade of 'W' is assigned for all registered courses for requests submitted after the end of the add/drop period.


Instructions for Students (Please read the above information prior to making a form submission)

  1. Obtain the name and Howard-issued e-mail address of your advisor

  2. Access the Undergraduate Total Withdrawal Form or Graduate Total Withdrawal Form.

  3. Complete all required fields highlighted in yellow.

  4. Sign the document in the 'Signature' area.
  5. Select 'Click to Sign'.
  6. Your request will be routed to the appropriate offices.

Note: Courses may not be reinstated after a total withdrawal has been processed.


Unofficial Withdrawals

The Unofficial Withdrawal Policy assists the University in administering its Title IV federal financial aid program. Department of Education regulations require the return of disbursed federal financial aid received by students who do not attend and participate in courses for which they are not enrolled. The University must adjust the federal financial aid of all students who either never report or stop attending and participating within the first 60 percent of the semester.

In previous years, "UW" and "NR" grades reported as final grades did not affect a student's grade point average. But henceforth, students who never attend or stop attending without officially withdrawing will adversely affect their grade point averages through the failing grades they will earn at the end of the semester.
Students who find it necessary to drop/withdraw from a course must complete the official process by the required deadline. Please refer to the University Calendar for specific dates and deadlines.