An emergency is a situation that places a student or students at risk. It may include illness or harm, or other traumatic incidents involving violence, or a missing student. Emergencies may also represent circumstances out of the ordinary, unplanned or unexpected, involving hardships that threaten the health, safety, and wellbeing of the students.

Students in a HU-approved study abroad activity may experience emergencies due to civil unrest, pandemic disease, or a natural disaster in the host country. These students have a 24 hour emergency assistance service available to them via their study abroad program (check with your program hosts/advisors.)

  • Be Prepared: Shelter in Place Briefing

  • Stay Notified: Howard University uses AppArmor, a state-of-the-art emergency notification system, to provide alerts in real-time. Students, faculty, and staff are automatically enrolled in the system based on available data, so make sure that your mobile number on file in BisonWeb (students) and PeopleSoft (staff) is correct. Furthermore, please download the free Bison Safe mobile app to receive emergency push alerts on your mobile device. Download from the App Store (iOS) or download from Google Play (Android)For a brief overview of the Bison Safe app, take a minute to watch this video.

For all HU emergencies where you are unable to reach one of the offices below, call 202-806-1100 or 202-806-7777
For Fire/Metropolitan Police/Ambulance, call 911



1) Psychological/psychiatric emergencies alcohol or drug overdose, suicide attempts, depression, suspected suicide, etc.

Student Counseling Service, 202-806-6870
Hotlines & Local Emergency Resources
See also:
Campus Ministries/Guidance & Support, 202-806-7280
Student Support Groups—Regional, International, Greek

2) Sexual assault, rape, sexual violence

Campus Police, 202-806-1100
Office of General Counsel, 202-806-2650
Student Counseling Service, 202-806-6870
Office of Provost/CAO, 202-806-2550
See also:
Hotlines & Local Emergency Resources
Sexual Harassment & Gender-Based Complaints Interpersonal Violence Prevention Program, 202-238-2382
Resources and Referral Options

3) Residence hall concerns Community Directors & Managers
See also:
Residence Life Handbook/Safety & Security
4) Medical concerns

HU Hospital, 202-865-1141 (Emergency Room)
Student Health Center, 202-806-7540
Dental Clinic, 202-806-0008
Student Pharmacy, 202-806-5088
Women's Clinic, 202-806-7290
See also:
Hotlines & Local Emergency Resources

5) Judicial procedures for non-academic misconduct Dean of Special Student Services, 202-238-2420
See also:
Student Code of Conduct
6) Academic difficulties

Academic Advisor
See also:
Academic Grievance Procedures

7) Students with physical and/or learning disabilities Dean of Special Student Services, 202-238-2420
8) Financial hardships Financial Aid
9) International student concerns International Student Services, 202-806-7517
See also:
National Student Organizations