Total Class Withdrawals
Students who find it necessary to withdraw from all of their classes for the current semester or for a subsequent semester for which they have already registered must complete a Total Withdrawal Request Form.
This form must be submitted by the end of the 12th week of classes for the semester in which they wish to withdraw. Students who are physically unable to complete the withdrawal in person and students who are administratively withdrawn should contact their Dean or advisor for assistance. See the Student Reference Manual for important details.


Instructions for Students

  1. Obtain the name and Howard-issued e-mail address of your advisor
  2. Access the form
  3. Enter your name and preferred e-mail address as well as the Howard-issued e-mail addresses for the appropriate offices.
    Important: All e-mail address must be submitted to complete the request. Incomplete forms will not be processed. 
  4. The system will automatically generate an access code and forward via e-mail to your account.
  5. Enter the access code.
  6. Read and verify terms and conditions.
  7. Select review document.
  8. Complete all required fields highlighted in red.
  9. Upload supporting documentation.
  10. Select Confirm Signing on the left side of the document.
  11. Save document on-line (optional).
  12. Your request will be routed to the appropriate offices.

Instructions for Advisors or Designees

  1. Advisors or Designees will be notified of pending requests via their Howard University e-mail accounts only.
  2. View documents link in the e-mail.
  3. View and accept terms and conditions.
  4. Select review document.
  5. Override request will display with information the student has provided.
  6. Select the MORE dropdown box and hit decline if the request is denied and provide the reason.
  7. Select Sign Here to generate a signature.
  8. Enter your name, change signature style (optional), and then select adopt and sign.
  9. Select Confirm Signing to approve the request.

Unofficial Withdrawals

The Unofficial Withdrawal Policy assists the University in administering its Title IV federal financial aid program. Department of Education regulations require the return of disbursed federal financial aid received by students who do not attend and participate in courses for which they are not enrolled. The University must adjust the federal financial aid of all students who either never report or stop attending and participating within the first 60 percent of the semester.
In previous years, "UW" and "NR" grades reported as final grades did not affect a student's grade point average. But henceforth, students who never attend or stop attending without officially withdrawing will adversely affect their grade point averages through the failing grades they will earn at the end of the semester.
Students who find it necessary to drop/withdraw from a course must complete the official process by the required deadline. Please refer to the University Calendar for specific dates and deadlines.