Enhance Academic Excellence
Strategic Priority 1
We will enhance academic excellence by supporting faculty, research and student development, academic rigor and retention through strategic recruitment and continuous improvement of academic programs.
Enhance Student Success through Transformation and Innovation in Teaching & Learning, enhanced by the use of technology.
- By 2019, conduct and complete academic prioritization and reorganization to realign academic offerings with national and global priorities, so that at least 70% of programs are in areas of demand, and result in our students having the skills and mindsets needed to be competitive in the workforce of the future.
- Promote the development and integration of strategic and effective distance learning options, to 20% of course offerings being offered online.
- Incorporate data analytics and artificial intelligence to target and matriculate a diverse mix of high potential undergraduate, graduate and professional student body, to achieve and maintain a 1st year retention rate of 95% and above.
- Develop and implement an innovative strategy for increasing need- and merit-based funding to increase access, and ensure a Howard University education is affordable for all students, in turn progressively decreasing the drop-out rate due to financial hardship, to zero.
- Promote and champion University policy changes, financial and academic programs and strategies that drive student success, to propel the University towards a top 50 ranking in U.S. News and World Report.
- Introduce academic support programs that improve student success, to increase four- and six-year graduation rates to 70% and 80%, or above, respectively, with special focus on sub-group performance in addition to overall attainment.
- Provide additional educational development opportunities for faculty to increase rigor and quality of instruction that emphasizes retention through active learning and student engagement.
- Devise and implement a new faculty and staff development plan to promote professional advancement and specialized skills training for university personnel.
- Invest in state-of-the-art, sliding-edge technology across all programs, to result in at least 40% of the classrooms campus-wide being equipped with technology needed to enhance teaching and learning across the curriculum.
- Create new and innovative physical and virtual learning spaces with enhanced technology to support the research enterprise, and exceed standards for sustainability and environmental stewardship.