Inspire New Knowledge
Strategic Priority 2
We will reward innovation in instruction, research, entrepreneurship, collaboration and capacity building that maximizes our impact, and challenges, enlightens and inspires our faculty and students to change the world.
Increase participation in grant funded research activity.
- Support research that addresses local, national and global health challenges through collaboration with STEM academic fields, such as biology, chemistry, medicine, engineering and computer science, and the social sciences.
- Support opportunities for interdisciplinary collaboration and co-creation that produces 20% joint academic programs and research collaborations.
- Increase the number of students who participate in study abroad experiences and high impact academic and extracurricular activities that expand thinking, promote diversity of thought, civil discourse and empathy.
- Facilitate the commercialization of research and technology to increase overall contribution to $100M.
- To drive Howard’s development of new and innovative academic programs, including both degree and certificate programs, Howard has established the Academic Innovation Office (AIO).
- The inaugural head of the AIO is Dr. Barron Harvey, former Dean of the HU College of Business. Under his leadership, multiple new academic programs will be introduced each year that allow Howard’s students to remain at the cutting edge of in demand fields, as well as knowledge needed to address societal, cultural and technological developments. These programs are partnering with our eLearning & Online Instruction initiative to ensure that new academic programs are available in multiple formats that meet the needs of our students.