Important Information: Weather Update
Please read and save this information regarding procedures in the event of class and event
cancellations and/or University closings due to weather or other circumstances pertinent to the
health and safety of the campus community:
FEMA: Special Weather Statement issued March 1st
by the NWS Baltimore, MD/Washington, DC.
HIGH WIND WARNING NOW IN EFFECT FROM MIDNIGHT TONIGHT TO 6 AM
* TIMING: Midnight tonight through Friday night.
* WINDS: Northwest 25 to 40 mph with gusts around 60 to 70 mph. The strongest winds will be Friday morning through Friday evening. Rain is also in the forecast for select areas across the region.
· Damaging winds will blow down trees and power lines.
· Widespread power outages are expected.
· Travel will be difficult, especially for high profile vehicles (e.g. SUVs).
A High Wind Warning means a hazardous high wind event is expected or occurring. Sustained wind speeds of at least 40 mph or gusts of 58 mph or more can lead to property damage.
Howard University Operations
- As of the time of this email, Howard University is scheduled to continue its usual operations.
- As of the time of this email, Howard University Hospital will continue normal business operations.
In the event of a campus closure or event cancellations, the University community will be
notified via an official HU communication.
Your safety is our number one priority. If an emergency arises, please be sure to contact Howard
University’s Department of Public Safety for assistance at 202-806-7777.
The University's Emergency Management Team will provide updates if necessary. Information regarding the University's operations will also be posted at the following locations:
Howard University’s Rave Guardian app
WHUR 96.3 FM
University's main line (202-806-6100).
Excellence in Truth and Service,
Tashni-Ann Dubroy, Ph.D., MBA
Executive Vice President and Chief Operating Officer