What can the Office of the Bursar help with?

  • Billing & Payment Due Date
  • Identifying Holds/Removal of Financial Holds
  • Receipt of Outside Scholarship and Direct Pay Third-Party Checks
  • Special Billing (Third-Party Contracts & Payment Plans)
  • Refunds
  • Sibling Tuition Discount Information

Email bursarhelp@howard.edu 


What can the Office of Financial Aid help with?

  • Financial Aid Eligibility and FAFSA
  • Fellowships, Scholarships, Tuition Remission, Loans, and Grants
  • Work-Study

Email finaid@howard.edu




Financial Aid Questions

What is the minimum credit required for financial aid eligibility?


  • Full-Time: 12+ credits
  • Three-Quarters Time: 9-11 credits
  • Half-Time: 6-8 credits
  • Less than Half-Time: 1-5 credits


  • Full-Time: 9+ credits
  • Half-Time: 4-8 credits


  • Full-Time: 12+ credits


  • Full-Time: 11+ credits


  • Full-Time: 9+ credits

Note: Audited courses cannot be included in meeting the minimum required credit hours toward eligibility.

What is financial aid?

Financial aid is money used to help students and their families pay for college. Financial aid can come from the federal government, the state where the student lives, the school the student attends, or a nonprofit or private organization. Financial aid is used to cover all educational expenses including tuition and fees, room and board, books and supplies, and transportation. Financial aid comes in the form of grants, institutional and external scholarships, work study and loans.

How do I apply for aid?

In order to apply for aid student’s and parents will need to navigate to studentloans.gov and fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Each student and parent will need to create their own unique FSA ID in order to log in and out of the application.

Do I have to be an admitted student at Howard University to apply for aid?

No, you can fill out the FAFSA before being fully admitted to Howard University, but your aid eligibility cannot be determined until you are an admitted student.

Do I have to apply for aid every year?

Yes, you must complete a new FAFSA every academic year. All applicants are encouraged to complete the FAFSA by Howard’s priority deadline for that academic year.

How is financial need determined?

After submitting your FAFSA the Department of Education uses that information to determine your Estimated Family Contribution (EFC). Your EFC is then used to determine how much a family can contribute towards the student’s education. Howard will use the EFC to determine eligibility for need based funds as well as federal financial aid. Financial need is determined by your cost of attendance (total cost to attend Howard)-EFC=financial need.

Ex: Student has 650 EFC and the Cost of Attendance is $44,951; Financial Need=44,301

My parents make a lot of money so I probably will not qualify for financial aid; should I still complete a FAFSA?

Yes. There are additional sources of aid such as low interest unsubsidized Federal Stafford loans that are not determined by need. Also, it is wise to have a backup plan in case your family experiences unexpected financial hardships.

If my parents do not claim me on their tax return, and I am self-sufficient, do I have to include their information on my FAFSA?

Yes. To be considered independent for financial aid purposes, you must meet one of the following criteria based on federal regulations:

  • Are now 24 years old, or will turn 24 by December 31st of the FAFSA filing year
  • Are working on a master’s or doctorate program
  • Are married
  • Have children who receive more than half of their support from you
  • Have dependents (other than your children or spouse) who live with you and receive more than half of their support from you
  • Are an orphan or a ward/dependent of the court (until age 18)
  • Be active duty or a veteran of the U.S. Armed Forces

What will happen to my financial award if I move to off-campus housing?

Moving from on campus to off campus housing has no affect on your financial aid.

How do I qualify for a scholarship?

The Howard University Freshman Scholarship (HUFS) Program is designed to assist accepted First-Time-in-College students who have demonstrated outstanding academic achievement throughout their secondary school career and have chosen to attend Howard University. Scholarships are automatically awarded on a first-come, first-served, basis to eligible candidate. A separate application is NOT required. Scholarships are awarded until all the funds have been exhausted and not all eligible applicants will receive a scholarship.

Note: Freshman students and First-Time-In-College students are not eligible for Donor Scholarships and should NOT complete a Donor Scholarship application.

Are there any additional scholarship opportunities?

How much can I receive in federal loans per academic year?

The amount of loans a student can receive varies by their academic level and student status. See the below chart for annual and aggregate loan limits:


Dependent Students (except students whose parents are unable to obtain PLUS Loans)

Independent Students (and dependent undergraduate students whose parents are unable to obtain PLUS Loans)

First-Year Undergraduate Annual Loan Limit

$5,500—No more than $3,500 of this amount may be in subsidized loans.

$9,500—No more than $3,500 of this amount may be in subsidized loans.

Second-Year Undergraduate Annual Loan Limit

$6,500—No more than $4,500 of this amount may be in subsidized loans.

$10,500—No more than $4,500 of this amount may be in subsidized loans.

Third-Year and Beyond Undergraduate Loan Limit 

$7,500—No more than $5,500 of this amount may be in subsidized loans.

$12,500—No more than $5,500 of this amount may be in subsidized loans.

Graduate or Professional Students Annual Loan Limit

Not Applicable (all graduate and professional students are considered independent)

$20,500 (unsubsidized only)

Subsidized and Unsubsidized Aggregate Loan Limit

$31,000—No more than $23,000 of this amount may be in subsidized loans.

$57,500 for undergraduates—No more than $23,000 of this amount may be in subsidized loans.

$138,500 for graduate or professional students—No more than $65,500 of this amount may be in subsidized loans. The graduate aggregate limit includes all federal loans received for undergraduate study.

What is the difference between a subsidized and unsubsidized loan?

A Direct Stafford Subsidized Loan is available to undergraduate students who display financial need. A Subsidized Loan does not accrue interest while the student is enrolled in school at least half-time (6 credits), for the first 6 months after a student leaves school whether for graduation or breaks in enrollment, and during a period of deferment.

A Direct Stafford Unsubsidized Loan is available to undergraduate and graduate students and the student does not have to demonstrate financial need. Direct Unsubsidized loans begin to accrue interest immediately after the disbursement occurs.

Is there any special funding for students in health profession programs?

Yes, Medicine, Dentistry, Pharmacy, and Allied Health have special funds. You must include parental information on your FAFSA regardless of your dependency status to be considered for these grants, scholarships, and loans.

What happens if I increase my credit hours after the end of the drop/add period? Will I receive more aid?

No, your aid is based on your enrollment at the end of the drop/add period. Aid is not adjusted after that date.

Financial Aid Verification

What is verification?

The process of verification allows the Department of Education to check the accuracy of the information entered in the FAFSA by requiring schools to collect specific documentation related to that information. If selected for this process, financial aid cannot be awarded until the process is complete. Students will be notified via email if they are selected for verification and they will be told what documents they will need to submit, along with instructions on how to submit them.

To try and reduce the probabilities of being flagged for verification all students and parents are encouraged to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool (DRT) on the FAFSA and to not amend that data so that all tax information is directly transferred. However, there is still a possibility a student will be flagged even if the DRT is used.

My aid has already disbursed, and I was just notified about verification, what do I need to do?

There are instances where the Department of Education places the verification flag on a student’s application after it has already been received by the school, and in many cases the school has already disbursed the students’ aid. If a student is flagged for verification after the aid has already been disbursed, that student will have 45 days to complete the process or all aid must be canceled which can result in a balance being owed to the university.

What information can the office verify?

The Office of Student Financial Aid and Scholarships can verify each of the following for parents and students:

  • Adjusted Gross Income (parent and student)
  • Taxes Paid
  • Income Earned from Work
  • Certain Untaxed Income
  • Household Size and Number in College
  • Child Support Paid
  • Any other inconsistent or conflicting information

What documents can be requested to verify the information in the FAFSA?

The Office of Student Financial Aid and Scholarships can request documentation to verify what is in the FAFSA. The specific documentation will vary based on a family or student’s individual case.

  • The two years prior tax return transcript for both the parent and student, if the student is dependent. So, for the 2019-2020 academic year the FAFSA uses the 2017 tax return data.
  • A Verification Worksheet to confirm household size and number in college
  • W-2’s for the parent and student if the student is dependent
  • Non-tax filer statement if taxes were not filed
  • Statement of child support paid
  • Verification of Net Worth

*Please note once verification begins, we may need to ask for additional documentation based on the tax transcript.

How can I obtain a tax return transcript?

You can get your free transcripts immediately online. You can also get them by phone, by mail, or by fax within 5-10 business days from the time the request was received.

What happens if I do not submit the requested documents?

If a student does not submit the required documents by the deadline in place for that semester, that student is not eligible for any federal aid or any aid that requires a FAFSA on file to receive it.

Bursar Questions

Under what circumstances will a financial hold be released?

Only for those students who have enough awarded and accepted financial aid to cover their semester balances-or- those who have submitted documentation for an approved third party billing contract before the payment deadline will the hold be released. Please note, if a third-party contract or pending aid will not cover your entire balance, you must also pay the anticipated difference by the payment deadline. For all other students who receive a financial hold on their account, the balance must be under $250.00, no exceptions.

Where should my scholarship provider, employer, or other direct pay third-party send the check?

Checks should always contain the student’s full name and Howard University student identification number. The mailing address is:

Howard University
Cashier Office
2400 6th Street NW, Room 115
Washington, D.C.  20059

How do I sign up for a payment plan?

Follow these steps:

  • Log into Bison Web
  • Click on Student Services
  • Click on Student Accounts
  • Click the option to View and Pay Your Bill
  • Log into epay.howard.edu
  • From the main ePay page, click Payment Plans

Please note: Payment plans are available through Howard University ONLY for the current academic year and within the open enrollment period, no exceptions.

How do I set up a Third-Party Billing Arrangement?

  • Initial requests for third-party arrangements should be directed to our email, thirdparty@howard.edu. Include your name, student ID number, and the nature of your inquiry. You will be contacted with further instructions. Please consider the payment deadline, and submit your request at least a week before the payment due date to allow for processing.
  • Returning students must submit third-party documentation for each semester they intend to receive assistance from a third-party. Letters of credit and financial guarantees, etc., must be emailed to thirdparty@howard.edu no later than the close of business the day of the payment deadline, no exceptions. Remember, financial responsibility remains with the student regardless of any anticipated assistance.

Summer Tuition Assistance Grant for Excellence (STAGE)

Dear Howard University Students,

As we enter the second half of the Spring 2019 semester, Howard University wants students to be aware of important dates and events. This communication provides students with an update of important items, reminders, and announcements of new programs.

1.  Summer 2019 Registration

Summer 2019 registration for continuing students begins on Monday, April 15, and closes on Monday, May 20, 2019. BisonWeb is available for registration from 9 a.m. to midnight each day. For more information on registration, please visit the Howard University Office of the Registrar’s site at https://www2.howard.edu/academics/registrar/registration.

2.  Summer Tuition Assistance Grant for Excellence (STAGE)

This summer, Howard University is pleased to launch an exciting new initiative to assist our undergraduate students in completing their academic studies sooner. The Summer Tuition Assistance Grant for Excellence (STAGE) is available to qualified students who were enrolled full-time during both the Fall and Spring semesters.

To be considered for this grant, students must meet the following criteria:

  1. Admitted as a degree-seeking undergraduate student
  2. Enrolled in a minimum of 12 credits for Fall and Spring semesters within the same academic year
  3. Making Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP)
  4. Completed a 2018-2019 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) by November 1, 2017 (Domestic Students Only)
  5. Must have a zero balance by no later than Friday, April 12, 2019
  6. Have earned less than 42 credits for the 2018-2019 academic year, which would be the sum of credits for Fall, Spring, and Summer semesters

    Students who meet the criteria are eligible to receive an award of tuition for up to six (6) credits for the Summer semester. Scenarios are as follows:

  1. If a student took 15 credits in the Fall, 18 credits in the Spring, and enrolls in 9 credits for the Summer semester, totaling 42 credits for the academic year, then the STAGE award would provide tuition for 6 credits in the Summer semester. The student would be responsible for paying the remaining 3 credits in the Summer semester.
  2. If a student took 18 credits in the Fall, 18 credits in the Spring, and enrolls in 6 credits for the Summer semester, totaling 42 credits for the academic year, then the STAGE award would provide tuition for the 6 credits in the Summer semester.
  3. If a student took 21 credits in the Fall, 21 credits in the Spring, and enrolls in 3 credits for the Summer semester, totaling 45 credits for the academic year, then the student would not be eligible for the STAGE award, and would be responsible for paying for the 3 credits in the Summer semester.

    Howard University will determine a student’s eligibility, and if eligible, will apply the award to their account. Please note that all tuition charges outside of the STAGE award must be paid in full upon registration for the Summer semester. Students are responsible for any additional charges not limited to this award (i.e., housing, meal plans, parking, courses outside of the award, etc.) and must be paid within the first three (3) days of the Summer semester and/or session.

3.  Fall 2019 Registration

General registration for the Fall 2019 semester will begin on Monday, April 16, 2019, for all eligible currently-enrolled students. For your convenience, the Fall Semester 2019 General Registration Calendar has been provided below. You are encouraged to register during general registration to avoid a late registration fee of $175. BisonWeb is available for registration from 9 a.m. to midnight each day.

   Date                    Day                        Classification

April 15



April 16



April 17



April 18


Freshman and Unclassified

April 19



Please note, if you have a financial hold on your account, you may not be eligible to participate in registration and should contact the Office of the Bursar via email at bursarhelp@howard.edu for assistance.

Continuing students must be registered for the Fall semester by May 25, 2019, or they will lose their Fall housing assignment.

For more information on registration, please visit the Howard University Office of the Registrar’s site at https://www2.howard.edu/academics/registrar/registration.

4.  Outstanding Balances

Having an unpaid balance with the University may place a financial hold on your student account, which in turn will prevent you from enrolling in future semesters.

4.1. Qualifying For & Accepting Aid

The Office of Financial Aid (OFA) has noticed that many students have qualified for financial aid, primarily loans, but have yet to accept it. It is imperative that all students immediately complete the acceptance step for available financial aid awards by accessing BisonWeb.

4.2. Completing Verification

OFA records also show that many students who applied for federal financial aid remain in a “verification” status. A verification status means that additional documentation is required from the student to confirm the information reported on the FAFSA application.

If you were previously selected for the verification process, it is critical that you complete this mandatory step. Financial aid awards cannot be processed without completing the verification process. Students in this process have been notified by the School Servicing Center. If you have been selected for federal verification, please submit the requested documents immediately. To check your verification status, you may access the School Servicing Center’s portal at www.SSCwp.org.

4.3. FAFSA Reminder

To receive financial aid for the 2019-2020 academic year (beginning August 2019), you MUST complete the 2019-2020 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

5.  Contact Information

OFA and the Bursar’s Office are working continuously to improve customer service to Howard University’s students and families.

If you have questions regarding financial aid, you may contact OFA via telephone at (202) 806-2840 or (202) 806-2820, or by email at finaid@howard.edu. You may also visit OFA in the Johnson Administration Building, Suite 205. Office hours are 8:30 a.m. - 3 p.m., Monday through Friday.

If you have questions regarding your student account, you may contact the Office of the Bursar via telephone at (202) 806-2570, or by email at bursarhelp@howard.edu. You may also visit the Office of the Bursar in the Johnson Administration Building, Suite 218. Office hours are 8:30 a.m. - 3 p.m., Monday through Friday.

Tuition Rebate Program

Howard University offers tuition rebates to qualified graduates for up to half of their tuition costs that were paid out of pocket for the Spring 2019 semester. The Tuition Rebate Program provides a great incentive for students to complete degree requirements and graduate on time.

Included below is the awarding criteria for the University’s 2019 Tuition Rebate Program.

A student:

  • Must be graduating on time, i.e., within four years (201508 or later)
  • Must not be receiving full tuition remission, a Howard University freshman scholarship or athletic scholarship; a student may qualify if his/her scholarship does not cover the full cost of tuition
  • Must have made direct payments (credit card, cash, checks, etc.) towards his/her Spring 2019 term; the rebate is only eligible for tuition charges
  • Must be an undergraduate student, who matriculated into Howard University as a first-year student; unfortunately, transfer, graduate and professional students are not eligible

If a student used any federal aid for the Spring 2019 semester, that amount is deducted from the tuition amount before direct payments are considered (i.e., students using a Parent Plus loan are ineligible if the loan covers the full tuition amount).

An evaluation will be performed during the first week of June for 2019 graduates (201508 cohort). Once the Office of the Bursar has determined those eligible students, their information will be forwarded to the Office of Financial Aid for coding before the Bursar’s office processes the rebate.