General Web Guidelines
In order for a Howard constituent website to be approved to use a Howard subdomain, and therefore become an official part of the Howard web family, the following criteria must be met. Contact Web Services with questions/concerns.
General Site Requirements
- Browser compatibility with our list of recommended browsers
- Baseline SEO (page titles, automatic page names, semantic HTML/CSS, meta-data, etc.) which will improve search engine placement
- Compliance with Web Content Accessibility Guideline 2.1 (Updated June 2018)
- Optimization for fast download (images, code, etc.)
- Responsive design tuned for browsers running on 16:9 mega-screens, smaller desktops/laptops, and in the most popular tablet and mobile platforms—iOS (iPhone, iPad, iPod) and Android
- Information architecture is well thought out, which facilitates as few clicks as possible to get to desired information
Howard Sites Requirements
- Use of an SSL certificate to force https rendering of all pages for a site is highly recommended
- If a site uses any webforms or allows for user input to be passed through the site, then use of an SSL certificate to force https rendering of those particular pages is required
- Site speed: initial homepage load time should be < 5 seconds (as measured by webpagetest.org)
- Site caching for dynamic websites is highly recommended
- The developers and site owners of a new site must conduct thorough testing of the originally outlined site requirements to be sure that the site functions as expected, meets the standards listed on this page, as well as meets Howard's web style guidelines.
- Please request a site review to ensure that your site or site-to-be-launched meets the requirements. (Site review can take up to 7-10 business days to complete after a request is received)
- Meet Enterprise Technology Services' (ETS) site and hosting security guidelines.
- Contact Web Services at Howard to request a security audit.
- Enterprise Technology Services (ETS) has signed off on site launch
- For Howard stakeholders, we provide recommendations on how to correspond with 3rd party vendors hired to build a university website.
- Site built in Drupal or otherwise agreed-upon CMS and meets Drupal requirements as provided by the Web Services at Howard Team